Living with Disability
Hornsby Shire Council works with the community to help people living with a disability play, socialise, learn, work and access services.
Council hosts a range of events each year for people living with a disability, particularly as part of the Healthy Living Festival that is held in March and April each year.
We can also help if you are having trouble with access or getting around Hornsby Shire. Click here to see our Access and Inclusion page.
Hornsby Shire Council also has a Disability Inclusion Action Plan (PDF 35MB).
To discuss support for people living with a disability contact Mark Powell on 9847 6996 or email email@example.com.
Express Your Ability art exhibition
Hornsby Shire Council, in partnership with Studio Artes, presents an exhibition of artworks by local artists living disability.
In celebration of International Day of People with Disabilities.
Special celebration event with morning tea – Saturday 2 December, 10am-1pm
Wednesday – Friday, 3.30pm-6pm
National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
The NDIS will be rolled out to the Hornsby Council area from July 2016.
For more information about how the NDIS may benefit you, visit ndis.nsw.gov.au
The Disability Information Helpline
The Disability Information Helpline is now available for people with disability who need help because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Helpline can help families, carers, support workers and services, too.
Contact the Disability Information Helpline on 1800 643 787.
The Helpline is available Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm (AEST) and Saturday and Sunday 9am to 7pm (AEST). It’s not available on national public holidays.
Visit www.dss.gov.au/disabilityhelp for more information, including Auslan and Easy Read materials.
Free, independent counselling and advocacy support
Available for people with disability who have experienced violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation. This support can also help people, including families and carers, engage with the Disability Royal Commission. If you would like support or to find out more, call 1800 421 468 or visit www.dss.gov.au/disability-royal-commission-support. Support is here for you. Visit the Department of Social Services’ website for more information including captioned videos, Easy Read and Auslan resources, a toolkit to help with communications, and a full list of organisations providing counselling, advocacy, legal and financial supports for the Disability Royal Commission.
2022 School Leaver Employment Supports program (Aspect Employment)
Our School Leaver Employment Supports program is inclusive of group workshops, practical work experience and individualised support.
The program is aimed at Year 12 School leavers, making transition from school to meaningful employment.
Face to Face session at Burwood and Baulkham hills in NSW Online webinars/Telehealth session in NSW/ACT/VIC
Places are limited so please contact us on 1800 277 328.
Learning Together Toolkit: Tools to help you get the support you need in education
Learning Together is a toolkit for students with disability and their families. This toolkit provides advocacy tips and legal information.
If you are a student: This toolkit will help you to get the reasonable adjustments you need so that you can succeed in mainstream education.
If you are a parent or carer: This toolkit will help you to advocate for your child so that they can get the reasonable adjustments they need to succeed in mainstream education.
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- NSW Disability Inclusion Act 2014 fact sheet - 43kb
- NSW Disability Service Standards
- Carers NSW
- National Disability Insurance Scheme government website
- Every Australian Counts – For information and support about NDIS
- Northern Sydney Intellectual Disability Health Team - 88kb
- Services for Children 0-6 with Additional Needs - 500kb
- Helping You and Your Family – Information and Support for Parents of Children with a Disability in NSW - 2.5MB
- Multicultural Disability Advocacy Association
- Northern Sydney Local Health District Carer Support Service - 598kb
- Mambarra Track and Mangrove Walk
- Home and Community Care – assistance to live independently at home
- Home modification and maintenance
- Complaints can be made through the NSW Ombudsman Office
- Olympus Solutions Disability Employment Services
- Specialist Disability Accommodation vacancy matching platforms – You can search the matching platforms by location, support needs, accommodation funding, accommodation type, duration and living arrangements to find something to suit you.
- Detailed directory listing of accessible beaches in Australia