Home Modification and Maintenance

Hornsby Shire Council carries out home modifications to assist the frail aged and their carers.

What is the service?

The service provides small-scale modification and maintenance works that assist frail aged or people who care for them. Its aim is to allow people to continue living safely in their own homes for as long as possible.

Download Brochure

Who can receive the service?

You must be living in the local government areas of Hornsby or Ku-ring-gai.

How does it operate?

home rails

The work is completed by professional licensed carpentry and plumbing contractors with many years experience in the building trade. The work may include the following:

  • Grab rails
  • Hand rails
  • Outside rails
  • Hand-held showers
  • Ramps/wedges
  • Bed/chair and risers
  • Maintenance work including minor plumbing and carpentry

What will it cost to receive this service?

The cost of modifications is income assessed. Maintenance is charged at an hourly rate plus the full cost of materials.

Estimates are prepared before work starts and the client advised of the cost. A limited subsidy is available and the costs can be negotiated according to financial circumstances.

Advantages of using the Service

  • Specialist in home safety;
  • Serving the local community for more than 20 years;
  • Insured and licenced subcontractors perform the work;
  • Written contracts are signed where costs exceed $1,000;
  • Guaranteed quality product warranties;
  • Government regulated and compliant with Australian Standards;
  • Allied Health preferred provider.

How can I request this service?

All individual requests for modifications and maintenance must be referred by My Aged Care. To inquire about a referral phone My Aged Care 1800 200 422  or visit

Translating and Interpreting Service ring 131 450 and ask for My Aged Care 1800 200 422. 
National Relay Service call 1800 555 677 and ask for My Aged Care 1800 200 422.

More information