Wooden fence

Councils have limited authority in disputes between neighbours over fences. Council can investigate the following matters related to a fence:

  • An unsafe dividing fence;
  • An unauthorised fence;
  • A dividing fence that forms part of a child-resistant swimming pool barrier.

Council has no authority to determine who should pay for a dividing fence.If you have problems regarding the construction or cost of a neighbouring fence, you should contact a Community Justice Centre.

For advice about whether consent is required for the installation of a dividing fence, please refer to the Department of Planning.

If you have concerns about an unsafe or unauthorised fence, you can lodge a request with Council to investigate.