Access to information

Hornsby Shire Council provides access to information in accordance with the Government Information (Public Access) Act, known as GIPA.

Under GIPA a range of information is made available on Council’s website, such as policies and codes, annual reports, plans of management, business papers and development applications. This information is known as Open Access information. A checklist of this information and where to find it is included in Council's Information Guide. Council must also keep a record of the Open Access information (if any) that it does not make publicly available on the basis of an overriding public interest against disclosure.

Looking for Development Applications?

For all development applications since 2005, including those currently being assessed, go to Find and Track a DA. For development applications prior to 2005, submit a GIPA access to information request. See Access to other information below.

Information guide

The Information Guide is designed to provide information about:

  • The structure and functions of Hornsby Shire Council;
  • The way those functions affect the public;
  • The avenues available to the public to participate in policy development and the exercise of Council’s functions;
  • The kinds of information available from Council and how this information is made available;
  • How members of the public and staff may access and seek amendment to records relating to their personal affairs if they are incomplete, incorrect, out of date or misleading.

Designated Persons

Pecuniary Interest Returns of Councillors and designated staff for the return period 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2023 were tabled at the 11 October 2023 Council Meeting.

Council publishes the annual pecuniary interest returns of the following designated persons pursuant to the Government Information (Public Access) Regulations 2009:  Schedule 1 - Additional open access information – local authorities.

In accordance with the Information and Privacy Commissions Guideline 1, Council has conducted the public interest test in relation to each return and redacted any information where there is an overriding public interest against disclosure, for example a residential address or signature.

The list of Council’s designated persons can be accessed here.

Access to other information

If you can’t find the information you’re looking for on Council’s website or in the Information Guide you can submit a GIPA Access to Information application.

There are two types of applications, informal application or formal application.

Most information can be obtained through an informal application. Lodging an informal application does not cost anything and there is no set time limit on when your application will be completed, though this is generally within 20 working days.

A formal application is needed when the information you seek contains another person’s personal information, requires consultation with a third party or requires careful balancing of public interest before being released. A $30 application fee is required, as well as a $30 per hour processing fee. A formal application will be processed within 20 working days and you will have a right of review of the decision made by Council. When submitting a formal application, be sure to note this clearly in your application.

To apply for a review of Council's decision in respect of a formal application complete and submit the Application for Internal Review form (PDF 173kB).

Disclosure log

Council is required to provide information on its website about any formal GIPA applications that have resulted in the release of information that is likely to be of interest to the public. Certain information about these applications must be published in Council's Disclosure Log, including:

  • The date the application was decided;
  • A description of the information to which access was provided;
  • What information is now available to the public;
  • How this information can be accessed.

Note, personal information will not be included in the Disclosure log.

Copyright disclaimer

Council provides access to information in accordance with the requirements of the Government Information (Public Access) Act. Copyright laws still apply to these documents


When making information available Council also has regard to your privacy in accordance with the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act (PPIPA).

Further information

If you have any questions please phone (02) 9847 6027.

To find out more about your right to information or your privacy, visit the Information and Privacy Commission NSW (IPC)