COVID-19 Update – 29 January 2021
It is now mandatory to sign in on the NSW Government COVID Safe QR Code app each time you visit our facilities.
In accordance with NSW Health’s Public Health Orders, as of midnight Friday 29 January 2021, face masks are strongly recommended for patrons attending Council's libraries and the Customer Service desks at Council Chambers and the Waste Management facility in Thornleigh. If you do not have a face mask, our friendly team will supply you with one free of charge. Patrons attending Hornsby Shire Aquatic & Leisure Centres and the Thornleigh Brickpit are not required to wear a mask. Further information is available on the NSW Health website here.
Our libraries are operating with limited hours, and we encourage you to use our Click & Collect service to keep your visit as brief as possible.
We are progressively increasing services and opening hours over the coming months based on advice from state and federal government.
Children on Ray Road Epping, circa 1900
Free use of Ancestry.com is temporarily available from home. For access, please follow the instructions on the library catalogue.
Microfiche/Microfilm readers are unavailable for use during the refurbishment of Hornsby Library. We apologise for any inconvenience.
The tools in Hornsby Library’s Family History section include:
- Free use of Ancestry.com only available from library computers (Free use of Ancestry.com is temporarily available from home. For access, please follow the instructions on the library catalogue.)
- My Heritage available In library | At home
- Free use of Findmypast - Australia and Findmypast - UK only available from library computers;
- Family Search, which includes the international genealogical index;
- Family Tree Pedigree Chart (100 kb);
- Australian birth, death and marriage indexes;
- Census and electoral roll information for Australia;
- Sands residential and business directories;
- Passenger and shipping records;
- Colonial Secretary's records;
- NSW probate index;
Family history talks
Hornsby Library hosts a range of very popular family history talks throughout the year.
Family History Group
The Hornsby Shire Family History Group meets 2pm - 4pm at Hornsby Library on the third Wednesday of each month. All are welcome.
Family history volunteers
A range of experienced volunteers are happy to help you research your family’s past. Bookings are essential as places are limited. Phone 9847 6614 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Monday 17 February - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00 pm
- Wednesday 19 February - 2.00 pm - 4.00 pm (HSFHG)
- Monday 2 March - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 4 March - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Tuesday 10 March - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Wednesday 11 March - 12 noon, 1.00 pm
- Monday 16 March - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 18 March - 2.00 pm - 4.00 pm (HSFHG)
- Tuesday 24 March - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Wednesday 1 April - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Monday 6 April - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 8 April - 12 noon, 1.00 pm
- Tuesday 14 April - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Wednesday 15 April - 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (HSFHG)
- Monday 20 April - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Tuesday 28 April - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Monday 4 May - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 6 May - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Tuesday 12 May - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Wednesday 13 May - 12 noon, 1.00 pm
- Monday 18 May - 10.30 am, 11.30 am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 20 May - 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (HSFHG)
- Tuesday 26 May - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Wednesday 3 June - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
- Tuesday 9 June - 10,30am, 11.30am
- Wednesday 10 June - 12 noon, 1.00pm
- Monday 15 June - 10.30am, 11.30am, 1.00pm
- Wednesday 17 June - 2.00pm to 4.00pm (Hornsby Shire Family History Group)
- Tuesday 23 June - 10.30 am, 11.30 am
Family history websites
We’ve gathered together a range of websites that will help you research your genealogy. The Australian family history pages and the international family history pages have been grouped together, while below are some general family history pages that will get you started.
Free online access to copies of the now-defunct American family history magazine.
Ancestry.com Library Edition
One of the best websites for finding your ancestors. It usually costs money but is free at all Hornsby Shire libraries.
A categorized and cross-referenced index to genealogical resources on the internet.
The largest collection of free family history records in the world
Download free printable blank family trees, as well as accessing general family history information.
Search for Ancestors
An interactive directory of the best free genealogy search engines.