How is land categorised?

The rating category or sub-category is shown on your Rate Notice. Section 493 of the Local Government Act states that there are four categories of ordinary rates: Farmland, Residential, Mining and Business.

Council has to determine what "Rating Category" each rateable parcel of land is according to its dominant use. If you disagree with the categorisation of your land, you or your agent can ask for a review.

A request for a review must be in writing on an Application for Change in Category of Land Categorisation for Rating Purposes form. You can also contact Rates section sending an email to or call us on 9847 6777 and ask for the form to be posted, or emailed to you.

If the category of your property is different to that shown on the Rate Notice, it is your obligation to notify Council of the correct category. If you are dissatisfied with Council's declaration of the category of your land after it has been reviewed, or the date the category of your land is to take effect, you may appeal to the Land and Environment Court within 30 days after the declaration is made, under Section 526 of the Local Government Act, 1993.