Save Power Kits
Would you like help reducing your electricity bill? Hornsby Shire libraries can help you with Save Power Kits, energy meters and thermal cameras that are available for loan.
What do Save Power kits contain?
- Power-Mate Lite energy meter to help you measure the power used by appliances, find out how much they cost to run and the carbon pollution they create;
- Two thermometers, one so you can find out where your home lets in the cold in winter or heat in summer, and the other to check your room and fridge temperatures;
- Stopwatch to measure how long you are in the shower and how much hot water you use;
- Compass to see which direction your windows face so you can make the most of the sun in winter and use shading to best advantage in summer;
- User guide with worksheets and action plan.
What is a thermal camera?
Thermal imaging, also called thermography, uses infrared light to allow heat energy to be seen and interpreted by the naked human eye. The variation of heat energy seen within the home can then be assessed to better manage air draughts, insulation and leaks. A thermal camera can help you identify problems, allowing you to document and correct them before they become more serious.
How do I borrow a kit or thermal camera?
Search our online catalogue to find available kits and cameras or to place a reservation.
Can I get an energy meter on its own?
Yes. The meters will tell you exactly how much power each of your appliances is using, which will help you create a strategy to reduce your energy bill.