Registering Your Pet
All cats and dogs must be micro-chipped by 12 weeks of age or before being sold or given away. They must be lifetime registered by six months.
How do I register my cat or dog?
To register online, visit the NSW Pet Registry at https://www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au/.
Please note that you will need to provide one of the following forms of ID - driver's licence, Medicare card or passport.
Download and complete a NSW Companion Animals registration form.
You will receive your certificate of registration once your cat or dog is registered.
The registration fee is a once-only payment and covers lifetime registration in NSW, even if pet ownership changes.
Submitting your form
You can post or email your documents (photocopy only of the certificates), including a cheque, money order to:
- PO Box 37, Hornsby NSW 1630 attention ‘Dog and cat registration’, or
- Email to email@example.com
- Bring your form and payment into Council's administration building*
*Due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic and advice of relevant state and government authorities, Council is currently not taking cash or credit card payments for pet registrations. You can still pay with a cheque or money order and a receipt will be issued at a later date.
For other payment options, please call Council on 9847 6666.
Frequently Asked Questions
The laws have changed from 1 July 2019.
Visit the Department of Primary Industries www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/animals-and-livestock/animal-welfare/companion-animal-welfare/selling-or-giving-away-a-cat-or-dog
There are a number of reasons why your pets microchip number cannot be found and you can’t ‘claim’ your pet:
- The microchip number may not be entered correctly on the Register or may not be entered at all.
- Your pet may be in the previous owner’s details or in the name of another member of your family (for you to claim your pet it must be in your name).
- Your ownership details on the Register must correspond with the details on your licence e.g if the microchip details state ‘Dan Smith’ but your licence states ‘Daniel Smith’ then Mr Smith will not be able to claim his pet. If there are spaces in the phone numbers on the microchip then he will also not be able to claim his pet.
- Your name must be your first name and surname only and the address must match exactly what is on your licence
- If your pet is in two owner’s names you will not be able to claim your pet online
If this is the case, please phone us on 9847 6666 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org so we can help you.
Please send your desexing certificates/proof of desexing through to us at email@example.com and we will mark the microchip as desexed, you should then be able to pay the reduced desexed fee. Alternatively your vet should be able to mark the microchip for you if they have desexed your pet.
Please contact us at Council on 9847 6666 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org as these registrations cannot be made online
The NSW Pet Registry has been developed to work on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. However, the Registry website won’t work on versions of Internet Explorer and Safari that are no longer supported by Microsoft, which means you may have to switch browsers.
For more information and FAQ’s please visit https://www.petregistry.nsw.gov.au/#/faq.
Dog and cat registration fees
|Dog – Desexed (by relevant age*)||$66.00|
|Dog – Desexed (eligible pensioner)||$27.00|
|Dog – Desexed (sold by pound/shelter)||$0|
|Dog – Not Desexed or Desexed (after relevant age*)||$224.00|
|Dog – Not Desexed (not recommended)||$66.00|
|Dog – Not Desexed (recognised breeder)||$66.00|
|Dog – working||$0|
|Dog – service of the state||$0|
Cat – Desexed or Not Desexed|
(Not desexed cat annual permit)
|Cat – Eligible Pensioner||$27.00|
|Cat – Desexed (sold by pound/shelter)||$0|
|Cat – Not Desexed (not recommended)||$56.00|
|Cat – Not Desexed (recognised breeder)||$56.00|
* Relevant age for dogs is 6 months of age
* Relevant age for cats is 4 months of age
Updated July 2021
- Information sheet - Dog Lifetime Registration and Fees (PDF 52KB)
- Information sheet - Cat Lifetime Registration and Fees (PDF 52KB)