Your Responsibilities & FAQs

Companion animals

Pet owner responsibilities

For the comfort, safety and health of the community, pet owners have the following responsibilities:

  • Have your dog or cat registered and micro-chipped.
  • Update your registration details by contacting Council when you move house or have your pet minded by someone else – even for a short period of time as your pet is more likely to wander away at this time.
  • When in a public place, ensure your dog is wearing a collar with a tag attached that shows the dog’s name and your address or phone number.
  • When in a public place, ensure your dog is under the control of a competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash.
  • When in an off-leash area ensure your dog is properly trained and under your effective control.
  • If your dog defecates in a public place, collect and dispose of it correctly. Collect the poo in a bag and deposit it in a red lidded garbage bin, either at home or in a public bin. Council has many stations around the Shire with free biodegradable dog poo bags for you to access. Alternatively, plastic bags can also be used. You can also buy dog poo compost systems from Council’s Waste Depo to compost your dog waste at home.
  • Ensure your dog not does not enter prohibited areas such as children’s play areas, food preparation and consumption areas, school grounds, childcare centres and wildlife protection areas.

View Council's Code for the Keeping of Animals (PDF 35KB)

Frequently Asked Questions

There is no specific limit on the number of pets that can be kept on residential premises provided:

  • The property is large enough for the animal’s needs and they are well looked after.
  • They are registered and microchipped.
  • There is no offensive noise and/or smell emanating from the property.

No. However, to protect your cat and the local wildlife it is highly recommended.

You should call Council on 9847 6666 and an officer will investigate the matter.

Call Council during business hours (Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 5pm) on 9847 6666. We will organise for it to be collected. Outside of Council’s business hours you may contact a local veterinarian to check if they will take the dog.

Unlike dogs, cats are free to roam and there is no legal requirement for a cat to be secured inside a private property. There is no offence in a cat straying or roaming onto neighbouring properties, therefore in most cases Council does not trap or seize cats. For further information on cats please download the Cat Information Sheet - 64kb.

You should contact Council’s Customer Service Team on 9847 6666 as soon as possible with details of when and where the attack took place. An officer will then contact you and make arrangements to interview you about the incident.