For Parents and Carers
Road safety is a shared responsibility. Drivers/riders should always be prepared to stop for people on foot, and pedestrians should always Stop, Look, Listen, Think before crossing the road, and keep on looking as they cross. If you are an adult, remember that children, especially those within your care, will follow your lead when it comes to crossing the road safely.
Below are a number of resources to assist you in understanding the road rules and traffic regulations in and around school zones.
Hornsby Shire Council has a number of resources available to schools to assist in educating the school community about parking and traffic rules in and around school zones.
School zone parking management and infrastructure
Council works with directly with schools on parking management, enforcement and engineering, including suitable placement of traffic signage such as No Parking (Set-down Pick-up areas), No Stopping and Bus Zones.
Council is responsible for ensuring the enforcement of parking regulations within and around school zones. To request additional ranger patrols please contact Council’s Ranger Services team on 9847 6666 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Update your NSW road rule knowledge – Road Users Handbook
- Kidsafe NSW Inc. Pedestrian Safety – https://www.kidsafensw.org/road-safety/pedestrian-safety/
- Kidsafe NSW Inc. Bikes and Wheeled Toys – https://www.kidsafensw.org/road-safety/bikes-and-wheeled-toys/
- TNSW Bike Riding – https://transportnsw.info/travel-info/ways-to-get-around/walking-bike-riding/bike-riding
- TfNSW School Zones and Demerit Points – https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/demerits-offences/demerit-points/school-zones.html
- TfNSW How demerit points work – https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/demerits-offences/demerit-points/how-it-works.html
- Road Rules: School Zones – https://youtu.be/l7Le_k0R0PY
- Road Rules: Children’s Crossings and Pedestrian Crossings – https://youtu.be/ih0rXAqxSZg
- U-turns – https://youtu.be/jsgLGuhEIQA
- Parking and Walking – https://youtu.be/TrheyGbvCXU
- Why do we have 40km speed limits within School Zones – https://youtu.be/4dJ-8dOIjrk
Have an issue within a school zone and don’t know who to contact?
NSW Police Force
For schools south of Thornleigh
Ryde Police Area Command (PAC)
For schools Thornleigh and north
Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Police Area Command (PAC)
Transport for NSW – Roads & Maritime
Contact Transport for NSW – Roads & Maritime