Road Safety

School Zone Road Safety

School Zones are designed to keep all motorists and pedestrians safe. Parking is a limited resource as our city expands and schools grow.

Council is unable to provide parking for every person that wants to park near a school, however we can, with your help manage access safely and equitably. When schools, parents & carers, Council, Police and State Government collaborate, road safety improves, and complaints are reduced.

If you choose to drive to drop-off or pick-up a student from school, be aware of the parking rules. Every school will encounter congestion. At schools with large populations it is likely that if 50% of parents or carers choose to drive into a school zone at pick-up time, our roads will be unable to cater for every vehicle.

Remember, what you choose to do affects others in a positive or negative way. Listen to your school’s advice, think about the local-residents and most importantly think about the safety of everyone, not just you.


Have an issue within a school zone and don’t know who to contact?

Provide school zone road safety educational resources:

  • Parking and road safety information sheets.
  • Fence banners.
  • Pole wraps and fence signage for No Parking zones (set down & pick up areas).
  • Other road safety information as requested.

Download resources here

If unsure what to order email or phone the Council Road Safety Officer for assistance.

Provide active travel ideas to help manage vehicle congestion at drop off and pick up time.

Email Council’s Road Safety Officer care of: or phone 9847 6666

Provide traffic ranger patrols for parking issues and infringements.

Email Council’s Ranger Services at or phone 9847 6666


  • Damaged or missing traffic or parking signs.
  • Damaged or obstructed footpaths.
  • Trees obstructing pathways or signage.

Contact Council:

  1. Phone: (02) 9847 6666
  2. Email:
  3. Post: PO Box 37, Hornsby NSW 1630

Your issue will be referred to the relevant department.

  • Tailor professional learning support for your school's needs.
  • Offer workshops for primary and secondary teachers about best practice road safety education
  • Work with small groups of schools on road safety education projects and initiatives
  • Provide advice to principals and schools about implementation of the department's Road Safety Education, Driver Education and Training Policy
  • Support principals to help solve road safety issues in and around schools.

For more information visit the website.

Department of Education Road Safety Education Officer.

Visit the website.

In the NSW Catholic school sector, road safety education is co-ordinated by a Diocesan Road Safety Education Advisor.

Sydney Catholic Schools

For a list of the Road Safety Diocesan Advisors visit the website.

For NSW Independent Schools road safety education information visit the website.

To contact an AIS Road Safety Advisor, visit the website.

NSW Police Force
  • Speed enforcement.
  • Illegal U-turns.
  • Blocking intersections.
  • Disobeying traffic signals; and other moving violations.
  • Criminal matters.

For schools south of Thornleigh

Ryde Police Area Command (PAC)
C/o Eastwood Police Station
Phone: (02) 9858 9228

For schools Thornleigh and north

Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Police Area Command (PAC)
C/o Hornsby Police Station
Phone: (02) 9476 9799

Transport for NSW – Roads & Maritime
  • Changes to speed limit, speed signage / school zone signage and maintenance.
  • Change to traffic light signals.
  • Request for mobile speed and mobile phone cameras.
  • All issues on State roads.

Contact Transport for NSW – Roads & Maritime

  1. Online via the website
  2. Phone: 13 22 13
  3. Post: PO Box 973 Parramatta CBD NSW 2124
  4. In Person: Service NSW – 324 Peats Ferry Road Hornsby

Useful links

Looking for your infringement photos?

In the first instance, please go the NSW State Revenue website and enter your Penalty Notice Number and the Date of Offence.

If you are unable to find photos of your infringement on the NSW State Revenue website, please fill in a Council parking infringement photo request form.