Frequently asked questions

bin crew

Below is a list of our most frequently asked questions. If you can't find what you're looking for here phone Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.

When are my bins collected?

You can find your collection dates using our Find My Collection Dates tool. You can also call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.

My bin has not been collected. Why?

Is your house the only house in the street where bins have not been collected? If so:

  • You may have put the bin out too late or placed the wrong bin.
  • The bin may be too heavy. Bins must not weigh more than 70kg.
  • The driver may not have seen the bin due to an obstruction.
  • The bin may have been contaminated (see What should I do with my waste?) or overfilled (please ensure the lid closes).

Please call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856 to have your bins collected once you have fixed the problem.

Please also note Council will only collect domestic waste and recycling bins it has provided. These have a coloured (red, yellow or bright green) lid and a Hornsby Shire Council logo on the front of the body of the bin.

Should I take my bins with me when I move?

No. They belong to Hornsby Shire Council and must remain at the property.

There is no recycling/garbage/green waste bin at my property. How can I get one?

  • If you are renting contact your real estate agent who will arrange a bin for you.
  • If you own the property, please call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.

My bin has been lost, stolen or damaged. What should I do?

Call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856 and we will organise to replace or repair your bin.

The bins I’ve been provided aren’t big enough. Can I get extra bins?

Yes, though this will attract an additional charge. For more information, click here.

How should I place my bins for collection?

Place bins one metre apart and two metres from any obstruction, such as a car or tree. Bring the bins back onto your property as soon as possible after collection.

Why has only one side of the street had bins collected?

The driver has probably gone to empty the truck and will return. If this has not occurred by 4pm please call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.

Why has my entire street been missed?

This may be due to driver error or your street may have been blocked by vehicles or roadworks. If collection has not occurred by 4pm call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856 and a truck will return the following day.

Why has my bin only been partially emptied?

Rubbish sometimes becomes compacted in the bottom of your bin and may not fall out when upturned. Loosen any remaining material and contact Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856 to arrange the garbage truck’s return.

Can I put extra items for collection into plastic bags or boxes?

No. All items for collection must fit into the bins provided and the lid must close. If you need extra bins, click here.

Where can I take other items for recycling that are not accepted in my yellow lid recycling bin?

Visit Planet Ark’s website, SUEZ website or visit your nearest Waste Management Centre.

I have just moved and my large cardboard boxes won’t fit in my yellow lid recycling bin. Do you have an alternative service?

Cardboard and other recycling can be taken to the Waste Transfer Stations at Wicks Road, North Ryde or Powers Road, Seven Hills. Flattened cardboard boxes can also be taken to the Community Recycling Centre at Thornleigh.

How can I get rid of plastic bags?

Most major supermarkets collect used plastic bags for recycling. Why not return your used plastic bags and pick up some reusable bags at the same time? Selected clean soft plastics can also be brought to Councils’ Community Recycling Centre at Thornleigh. Dirty plastic bags can be placed in your red lid garbage bin.

What happens to green waste?

Green waste is delivered to Kimbriki Recycling and Waste Disposal Centre in Terrey Hills. Once there, it is processed by Australian Native Landscapes and turned into mulch and compost.

Who sorts the recycling?

Once collected, your recycling is taken to a material recovery facility in Sydney. The truck unloads unsorted recycling (paper, plastics, glass, etc) onto conveyor belts and then the sorting process begins. Air jets are used to separate paper, regular magnets are used to pick up steel cans, eddie current magnets are used to repel aluminium into containers, while lasers identify and sort glass into different types and colours. Other materials are sorted by hand, such as items too contaminated for recycling (for instance dirty steel cans or mouldy cardboard). Once sorted, the materials are sent to specialist recycling plants.

When is the next Bulky Waste Collection due in my area?

You can view specific information about your waste collection days and dates using our Find My Collection Dates tool.

What can I put out for my Bulky Waste Collection?

For details visit the Bulky Waste Collection page or call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.

How much can I put out for Bulky Waste Collection?

The maximum allowed is three cubic metres.

Can I arrange an additional Bulky Waste Collection?

No. Any extra clean-ups you need must be arranged with private waste removal contractors. If you live in a house you will receive two clean-ups every year on a scheduled date. Visit the Bulky Waste Collection page for more information.

Where can I purchase compost bins and worm farms?

At Council’s Waste Depot at 29 Sefton Rd, Thornleigh. However, first call 9847 4856 to ensure there is stock. For addition information visit Composting and Worm Farming.

What do I do with my bins if my property will be unoccupied for a long period or I am in the process of a knockdown/rebuild?

Phone Council's Waste Hotline on 9847 4856  and we will arrange to have the bins removed. Once we have removed the bins, your waste service charges will be suspended until you request replacement bins.

More information

Do you have further questions? Email Council’s Waste Management Team at waste@hornsby.nsw.gov.au or call Council’s Waste Hotline on 9847 4856.