Summer Reading Club
Welcome to our Summer Reading Club
The Summer Reading Club is a national annual reading program designed to encourage children to read and explore the amazing world of books over the summer school holidays in December and January.
Choose from many exciting stories at your local library and your holidays will never be boring. There are also great prizes to be won! Hornsby, Pennant Hills, Berowra and Galston libraries will each have their own weekly prize draws.
How to Participate
Join Suzy Spindoll for our exiting launch event where you will learn how to do circus tricks that will amaze your friends and family! The Summer Reading Club launch event will be available to view online on Hornsby Shire Libraries Facebook page from Monday, 30 November until Friday, 4 December.
You can register for a Beanstack account at any time but will only be able to join the Summer Reading Club on the launch day, Thursday 3 December. Participants must register in Beanstack using a child's library card. Read or be read to at least three times a week and log your reading in Beanstack. To win any of the great prizes in the weekly draws and the major prizes at the end of the Club participants must use their library card to borrow every week after Thursday 3 December.
- You do not have to read three books a week, just read or be read to three times during the week.
- The books you read should be at your reading level.
- Children who are not yet independent readers can count all the books read to them.
- 80% of the books you read must be borrowed from Hornsby Shire libraries on your library card. The remaining may be from your own collection at home.
- When you have completed your reading for the week, log into Beanstack at the appropriate week and you will be entered in the draw at your branch. Club members will only be able to register for one ticket per week.
- If you are not able to log into Beanstack at home, register or log in at your branch library with a parent or guardian on the public access computers to go into your branch's weekly draw.
- You must obtain at least 3 badges in Beanstack to qualify for your certificate. Certificates may be picked up from your local branch from 8 February 2021.
- Weekly prize winners will be contacted by phone and invited to choose their prize. Names may be displayed.
- Thursday 10 December
- Thursday 17 December
- Thursday 7 January (Super Draw, double prize winners)
- Thursday 14 January
- Thursday 21 January
- Thursday 28 January
The major prizes for this year will include four $50 debit cards and the winners' names will be announced on the Hornsby Shire Libraries Facebook page during the week of Monday 25 January to Friday 29 January. Winners will also be notified by phone.
This year the Summer Reading Club will close with a finale on Facebook which can be viewed on Hornsby Shire Libraries Facebook page from Monday 25 January until Friday 29 January 2021. Suzy Spindoll will be back to teach you tips and tricks to help you become a juggling super-star!