Useful links

  • Centrelink - Centrelink has a multilingual call centre you can reach by phoning 13 24 68. There is also a free Mandarin and Cantonese interpreting service at Hornsby Centrelink each Tuesday from 9am - 1 pm. Click here to have Centrelink information translated into your language of choice.
  • Counselling - Lifeline is a telephone counselling service that helps you in a crisis. Phone 13 11 14.
  • Study - Hornsby TAFE offers English classes as well as other employment and vocational courses.
  • Transcultural Mental Health - The Transcultural Mental Health Centre (TMHC) works with health professionals and communities across New South Wales to support positive mental health for people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities.
  • Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) – A free service to help eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants with low English levels to improve their English language skills.
  • CASS - provides a wide range of community services and activities for people residing in Metropolitan Sydney and Wollongong including settlement services. It assists newly arrived Chinese-speaking and Korean-speaking migrants with settlement concerns including housing, employment, education as well as health and welfare issues through free face-to-face casework, referral services, information sessions and expos. For more information, please visit the CASS services website.
  • Community Migrant Resource Centre (CMRC) - Not-for-profit, charitable organisation established in 1996. CMRC provides specialised support services to newly arrived migrants, refugees and humanitarian entrants.