Street Lights

street lights

Ausgrid – LED Street Lighting Roll Out

Council joined Ausgrid’s Accelerated Street Lighting Replacement Program in February 2019 to replace old technology lights with LEDs in residential roads. Ausgrid have also been replacing failed and old technology streetlights with LEDs as part of an ongoing routine maintenance program. In addition, Ausgrid began installing CFLs in mid July 2022 and main road LEDs in January 2023. To the end of June 2023, of the 9801 streetlights in the Shire, 7842 (80%) are LEDs and 1062 are CFLs. Since the beginning of the program, the savings are 4,342,865 kWh, 3,684 tonnes CO2, $886,157 in operational costs and $1,924,110 in maintenance costs

Street lighting is a vital community asset that keeps the community safe. Council pays the electricity and maintenance bills for these assets.

Who do I report a fault to?

Ausgrid owns and maintains the majority of Hornsby Council’s street lights on our behalf. There are a number of areas in the Hills district that is owned and maintained by Endeavour Energy. Residents can check on the Ausgrid website by putting in their postcode.

How do I report a fault? – Ausgrid area

If you spot a faulty street light, report it on the Ausgrid website or call the 24-hour contact number on 1800 044 808.

Ausgrid has a number of online reporting tools to make it easier to alert them to problems such as faulty street lights, graffiti vandalism on Ausgrid property, trees growing too close to powerlines and power poles in need of inspection.

Faults include:

  • lights that don't come on at night
  • lights that remain on during daylight hours
  • lights repeatedly turning on and off during the night
  • broken lights, e.g. damaged lens
  • other faults with the light or pole.

Report a faulty light on Council land

If you spot a faulty light in a park, oval, playground or Council venue, call us on 9847 6666 or email

Additional lighting

If you’d like to suggest a location for additional lights to be installed, please email and Council will submit a request to Ausgrid/Endeavour Energy on your behalf.

Additional lights incur extra charges and you may be asked to make a contribution towards the cost.