How you can help - recycling tips
Everybody is making a great effort to recycle their waste but sometimes it's not clear what can and cannot be recycled. Please see the guidelines below to help you sort your recycling correctly.
What can go into my yellow lid recycling bin?
For a full list of what can be accepted in your yellow lid recycling bin, please refer to the What can I put in my bins? page.
- Do not put plastic bags and soft plastic packaging or wrap in the yellow lid recycling bin. These soft plastics get caught in machinery at the sorting facility
- In addition to plastics, do not put the following items in your yellow lid recycling bin.
- garden waste
- food waste
- polystyrene foam
- Other than bottles and jars, do not dispose of glass (reading glasses, Pyrex, drinking glasses, windows, mirrors etc) in the yellow lid recycling bin. These other types of glass are created at different temperatures and may have additives and will ultimately lead to contamination.
- Do not put items to be recycled in a plastic bag before putting it in the yellow lid recycling bin. Plastic bags get caught in machinery at the sorting facility.
- Do not put any items that you have doubts about whether it is recyclable in your yellow lid recycling bin. Put it in your red lid garbage bin. Putting the wrong thing in the wrong bin can ruin your recycling efforts.
- Do recycle your plastic bags at the Community Recycling Centre at 29 Sefton Road, Thornleigh. You can also take them back to your local supermarket and placed in dedicated plastic bag recycling bins.
- Do dispose of plastic containers from the kitchen, bathroom or laundry in the yellow lid recycling bin.
- Do dispose of glass bottles and jars (lids removed) in the yellow lid recycling bin. The colour of the glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, etc.) doesn’t matter.
- Do dispose of aerosol (spray) cans in the yellow lid recycling bin. They are a great source of steel. Please ensure they are empty.
- Do ensure that items that go into your yellow lid recycling bin loose, never in a plastic bag please. When items are placed loosely in the bin they are able to be easily sorted at the Materials Recycling Facility (MRF).
Did you know?
You can attend a Recycling Tour to learn more? Email email@example.com or phone the Waste Hotline on 9847 4856 to find out when the next tour is.
Visit the Planet Ark website to learn more about National Recycling Week.