Waste and Recycling
28 April 2020 – Important information regarding the COVID-19 (coronavirus pandemic)
In line with government advice encouraging waste and recycling facilities to remain open, Council will reopen the Thornleigh Community Recycling Centre (CRC) on Wednesday, 29 April 2020, under appropriate COVID-19 Controls.
The CRC will be open during its normal operational hours:
- Tuesday to Friday 8.30am-4pm; and
- Saturdays 8.30am-12pm.
The following COVID-19 control measures will be in place:
- All CRC customers must stay in their vehicles until directed into a drop-off bay by staff.
- Hand sanitiser stations will be located at each drop-off bay.
- Customers will be required to self-unload their items and place them in the relevant receptacles as directed by Council staff.
- Customers must ensure they can self-unload their items without assistance from Council staff. Residents should bring along a member from their household to assist if required.
- All customers must maintain social distancing while unloading and depositing items.
- If the CRC experiences high demand or excessive queuing within the facility, the front gates will be temporarily closed and the below messaging placed on the gates:
- Access to the Thornleigh Community Recycling Centre is temporarily closed, due to high demand.
- We will reopen as soon as possible.
Public enquiries can be directed to Council’s Waste Hotline as normal on 9847 4856.
The Waste Customer Service Counter will remain closed.
Phone: 9847 4856
Hornsby Shire Council is responsible for the collection of waste throughout the Shire. Find out what you need to do with your waste to ensure that it is disposed of safely and efficiently.
Your Weekly Collection
Bulky Waste Collection
Workshops, Tours and Events
Frequently Asked Questions
Waste and recycling services for businesses
Waste and Recycling Tips
Community Art Projects
Waste Matters Strategy
Council has adopted the Waste Matters Strategy, to guide the future direction of how we manage our Shire’s waste and increase our current landfill diversion rate.