Frequently Asked Questions

Upon application we can issue the following certificates:

  • Construction Certificates
  • Complying Development Certificates
  • Bushfire Attack Level (BAL) Certificates
  • Building Certificates (Authorised/ Unauthorised Work)
  • Strata Certificates
  • Swimming Pool Compliance Certificates

We also act in the role of PCA by:

  • Carrying out critical mandatory inspections
  • Issuing Occupation and Compliance Certificates

We work within the Shire of Hornsby. This includes, but is not limited to:

Wisemans Ferry, Dural, Galston, Arcadia, Brooklyn, Dangar Island, Berowra, Mount Colah, Asquith, Hornsby, Waitara, Wahroonga, Normanhurst, Thornleigh, Pennant Hills, Cheltenham, Beecroft, North Epping, Westleigh, Cherrybrook, Castle Hill.

The property owner has the right to choose their own Certifier to ensure construction work is being carried out in accordance with the conditions of development consent, the Building Code of Australia and Australian Standards.

Hornsby Certifiers work for the owner/ applicant and not just the builder. Therefore we can provide unbiased advice to ensure that your project meets legislative building requirements.

The Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 (EP & A Act) requires the appointment of a principle certifying authority (PCA) before commencement of work on a development site. The PCA is required to assess whether the building is suitable for occupation or use in accordance with its classification under the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

By carrying out mandatory building inspections before, during and at the completion of a project we ensure that your project will meet Building Code and other legislative requirements.

A construction certificate is required to be obtained prior to the commencement of any building work. Building work is defined in the EP & A Act (the Act) as “any physical activity involved in the erection of a building”. Under the Act the definition of "building" is very broad and includes small and large structures.

Where you are unsure if you need a construction certificate please contact our team on 9847 6787

Yes at the time of lodgement of your construction certificate or complying development certificate application you can appoint Hornsby Certifiers as your PCA. Please see our application forms for appointment of Hornsby Certifiers as PCA.

Certificate TypeTimeframe
*Provided all required information is submitted to satisfactorily complete the assessment.
Construction Certificates10 working days*
Complying Development Certificates15 working days*
Bushfire Attack Level Certificates10 working days*

Simply contact our Customer Service Team on 9847 6760 the day before your required inspection (Monday to Friday).