Thornleigh Station Upgrade
The NSW Government is improving accessibility at Thornleigh Station.
Planning approval has been granted for an accessibility upgrade at Thornleigh Station as part of the NSW Government’s Transport Access Program. The approval follows the public display of the Review of Environmental Factors from 8 to 22 February 2021, and preparation of a Determination Report.
The Determination Report and planning approval conditions are available at www.transport.nsw.gov.au/thornleigh. The Transport for NSW project team would like to thank the community for their feedback during the planning process.
To help address community feedback in line with the mitigation measures identified in the Determination Report, the project team is currently investigating improvements to the station upgrade where feasible.
Transport for NSW is upgrading Thornleigh Station to make it easier for everyone to access public transport, including people with a disability or limited mobility, parents/carers with prams and customers with luggage.
Indicative layout of Thornleigh Station Upgrade, subject to detailed design.
The upgrade will include:
- three new lifts to provide access to the station platforms
- weather protection screens and canopies at the lift entries
- improved access to the waiting rooms
- a new family accessible toilet and unisex ambulant toilet
- upgrades to the bus stop and seating on The Esplanade
- new accessible pedestrian pathways throughout the station and entrances
- upgrades to the existing accessible parking spaces in the commuter car park
- a new accessible parking space and kiss and ride area on Railway Parade
- new bicycle hoops
- new canopy coverage over the Boarding Assistance Zone on Platform 3
- improvements to CCTV, lighting and wayfinding signage
- electrical upgrades to accommodate new infrastructure
- modifications to existing stairs
- new stairs on Railway Parade walkway connecting to the existing station footbridge.
Upcoming site investigations
To help inform the detailed design for the station upgrade, underground site and tree root investigations are required to take place in and around the station. The investigations will be undertaken between 7am and 6pm from Monday 10 May until Friday 14 May 2021.
Tree trimming and removal will not occur as part of this work. All care will be taken with an independent arborist on site to assess the trees and monitor the work. See map on the next page for information on footpath closures.
Temporary footpath closure
As part of the site investigation work, a temporary footpath closure will be in place between 7am and 6pm on Wednesday 12 May 2021 between Wells Street and the station footbridge. Should there be any unforeseen circumstances such as inclement weather, this closure will occur on Thursday 13 May or Friday 14 May. A concrete saw will be used to cut the concrete followed by a vacuum truck to help identify the tree roots and services located underneath the footpath. Access into Thornleigh Station will be via Railway Parade or The Esplanade, Thornleigh. Traffic control and detour signs will be in place to provide directions to pedestrians around the work site.
Equipment used will include vacuum truck, compactor, concrete saw, cable scanner, work vehicles, surveying equipment and various hand and power tools.
We will continue to keep the community informed with regular project updates. Further information is available on the project website http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/thornleigh. If you would like to be added to the project distribution list, please contact us on 1800 684 490 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For all urgent enquiries or complaints regarding construction activities, please call our 24-hour Construction Response Line on 1800 775 465.