Registering your pet
NSW Companion Animals Register Factsheet (151kb)
How do I register my cat or dog?
To register your animal you must do two things:
- Microchipping - All dogs and cats must be microchipped at point of sale or upon change of ownership, or by 12 weeks of age - whichever comes first. If your animal has not been microchipped take it to a vet and obtain the relevant documents.
- Payment of registration fees - Once your animal is over six months of age, you must pay for it to be registered.
To register your animal you must provide Council with:
- A copy of either your Permanent Identification Form (the microchipping form) OR Certificate of Identification OR a Completed registration form (available from the DLG website)
- Documents to prove your animal has been microchipped
- Any documents which entitle you to a discount (such as a desexing certificate, pensioner card or breeder registration card)
NSW Dog and Cat Registration Fees
|Lifetime registration||Desexed cat or dog||
|Lifetime registration||Desexed cat or dog owned by a pensioner||
|Lifetime registration||Undesexed (entire) cat or dog||
|Lifetime registration||Undesexed (entire) cat or dog owned by a registered breeder||
|Lifetime registration||Assistance (guide dog)||
How can I pay for my dog or cat to be registered?
Bring all required documents into Council’s administration building in Hornsby and pay over the counter..
Call Council’s Environment Division Customer Service Team on (02) 9847 6853.
Fax all the required documents to (02) 9847 6929, attention ’Dog and cat registration’ with payment with a signed letter stating your credit card details.
Place all required documents into an envelope with a cheque or money order or signed letter stating your credit card details to PO Box 37, Hornsby NSW 1630, attention ‘Dog and cat registration’.
How can I change my microchip details?
You can change the details on your pet’s microchip by calling Council’s Environment Division Customer Service on (02) 9847 6853 and quoting your animal’s microchip number.
To change the owner of an animal you can download a 'Change of Owner/Details form' from the DLG website.
Alternatively, send us either:
- Your microship documents with the reserve side completed with new details
- A letter stating your animal’s microchip number and your new details
Please note, for a change of ownership, the form must also be signed by the previous owner.