What should I do with my waste?
Red Lid Garbage Bin
The following items CAN go in the red lid garbage bin:
The following items MUST NOT be put in the red lid garbage bin:
Yellow Lid Recycling Bin
The following items CAN go in the yellow lid recycling bin:
||The following items MUST NOT be put in the yellow lid recycling bin:|
Green Lid Green Waste Bin
The following items CAN go in the green lid green waste bin:
||The following items MUST NOT be put in the green lid green waste bin:|
Compost Bin and Worm Farm
For more detailed information please see the guides on Composting and worm farming
How can I make sure my bin is emptied?
- Place your bin out the night before your collection day.
- Do not overfill your bin and ensure that the lid is completely closed, or the truck may not be able to empty it. The bin should not weigh more than 70kg.
- Do not place extra bags or bundles next to or on top of your bin, as they will not be collected.
- Make sure the truck will be able to access your bins. Line them up along the kerb, facing the road, and space them about 30 centimetres apart. Avoid overhanging trees and parked cars.
- Ensure your bin is Council-issued, with a Hornsby Shire Council logo on the front, and that the correct bin type is placed by the kerb for that week's collection.
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Click here to see an A to Z list of items, explaining what should be done with each of them.
If you still can’t find information about the item you want to dispose of, visit the Recycling Near You website.
Items that should not go in any bin
Batteries, light globes, mobile phones and ink cartridges contain chemicals that are harmful to the environment and should not be placed in any of your bins. Instead they should be dropped off to:Thornleigh Community Recycling Centre
29 Sefton Rd, Thornleigh
Tuesday to Fridays, 8.30am-4pm