Council has some power to investigate offensive noise, though it is generally best to try to resolve the problem without involving the authorities.


What can you do about loud noise?

Step 1: Keep a noise diary to record when and how the noise is affecting you.

Step 2: Discuss your concerns with the person causing the noise. Often people do not realise they are being noisy and will work with you to solve the problem. You could also send them a letter outlining your concerns. You might find this letter template useful.

Step 3: If the noise continues, seek mediation with your neighbour through the Community Justice Centre.

Step 4: If the noise continues you can report the matter to Council, along with your completed noise diary. Council officers will need to see documentation from the Community Justice Centre to prove mediation has been attempted.

Lodge a request

Please note that Council has no power over people speaking, laughing or shouting. If this type of noise is causing a disturbance you may wish to contact your local police station. 

Noise restrictions

In residential areas there are restrictions on when certain noises can be made. The following table spells them out:

Click here to view the noise restrictions ▼

If you have any further questions about noise issues visit the website of the Environment Protection Authority or phone 9995 5000.