Apply for a Permit

A permit is required to undertake a number of activites on or near your property.

Earthworks involve filling or excavating land. You need to apply for approval unless the work is part of a development that has already been approved. Consent is required in order to control soil erosion, sedimentation, tree loss and drainage impacts.

Do you have concerns about earthwork?

If you have concerns about earthworks occurring at a property, you may wish to lodge a request with Council to investigate.

Lodge a request here


Hoardings provide safe temporary fencing to protect the public from the hazards of adjacent construction, excavation or demolition works.. Hornsby Council classifies hoardings into three categories:

Class A

Class A Hoarding is a fence that is located no more than 300mm onto Council land.

Class B

Class B Hoarding is a solid structure and the largest type of hoarding able to be applied for. It is commonly required where overhead protection is needed for pedestrians utilizing the footpath, and may be with or without site sheds overhead.

Class C

Class C Hoarding is a fence or scaffolding that is located more than 300mm and up to 1800mm into Council land where the width is:

  • at least 3500mm, or
  • not more than half the width of the 3500mm, or
  • not more than half the width of the footpath/footway whichever is the lesser.

Apply Now

Applying for a temporary fencing/hoarding permit can now be made online with the upfront payment of the non-refundable Permit Fee.

The total cost payable by the applicant will be based on Council’s Fees and Charges as applicable for the hoarding type. The actual hoarding type will be assessed on-site by Council’s Environmental Compliance Officer.

Online application for hoardings

Council approval is required to place mobile cranes/plants on footpaths, nature strips, road shoulders, roadways or road-related areas. This includes any activity that involves hoisting goods over a pedestrian area.

The application requires a Traffic Control Plan, which can only be prepared by persons accredited by the RMS.

Application fees can be paid by credit card. For more information phone 9847 6616.

Mobile cranes/plants on private property do not require an application or fee.

Apply Now

To seek approval, submit an application form (225kb).

road opening

A road opening permit allows a person to dig into Council's assets, such as roads, footpaths and nature strips.. If the permit is approved the applicant must pay the cost of restoring the public asset once the work is finished.

Applying for a road opening permit can now be made online with the upfront payment of the non-refundable Permit Fee.

The total cost payable by the applicant will be based on Council’s Fees and Charges as applicable for the restoration of the asset type(s) disturbed by the road opening. The actual area of the asset type(s) to be restored will be assessed on-site by Council’s Restorations Supervisor.

See a complete listing of the current fees and charges including terms and conditions for Road Openings - 60kb.

View Standard Conditions for Road Opening Permits – Plumbers and Drainers - 25kb for further information.

Click to view Road Opening Typical Details - 71kb.

Click Survey Mark Status to view information provided by Land & Property Information, NSW Government.

Apply Now

An application and payment by credit card can be made online.

Apply online

Temporary road closure

Council approval is required for temporary full and partial road closures.


It’s important that all driveways and vehicular crossings are safe, while providing appropriate vehicle access. For works which include the construction of footpaths and/or kerb and gutter as part of a Development Application where a Construction Certificate is required, you must refer to Council's Planning Division for approval.

What is the Vehicular Crossing Specification?

Hornsby Shire Council’s Vehicular Crossings Specification ensures the design and construction of all vehicular crossings (including driveways) is safe.

Vehicular Crossings Specification - 821kb

Who can build a driveway or vehicular crossing?

They can only be constructed by Council staff or authorised contractors to ensure construction is to a reasonable standard. Phone Council to obtain a quote on 9847 6940 or view the list of Authorised Contractors.

Are there any tips on obtaining quotes from contractors?

The best place to visit is the NSW Fair Trading page on getting quotes.

How can a contractor become authorised?

If you’re a contractor keen to become authorised refer to section 3.10 or 3.11 of the Vehicular Crossings Specification - 821kb.

How do I apply for Boundary Levels?

Boundary levels can be obtained by the owner or the builder for Development Application (DA) lodgement or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) by clicking the “Apply Now” button.

Apply Now

Once this has been obtained, please contact an authorised contractor to lodge a separate application for the vehicular crossing construction.

Please allow 5 working days for processing application.

This is not a requirement for vehicular crossing(s) on private roads.

Skip bin

Skip bin permit

Council approval is required to place skip bins or containers on footpaths, nature strips and road shoulders. Containers placed on private property do not incur a fee and no application is necessary.

If you're seeking approval please read the conditions and guidelines, then complete the below form. Permit fee is $115 and can be paid in person or with a credit card.

For more information about skip bin permits phone 9847 6616.

Tips to hiring a waste removal service or skip bin

When hiring a skip bin, order one with a cover or lockable lid to prevent other people from dumping their rubbish in it.

Did you know that both the owner of the waste (yourself) and the transporter (removal company) of the waste are legally responsible for proving the waste was transported to a lawful place?

If someone is transporting waste on your behalf, make sure you receive a quote before collection and keep records of:

  • Who transported the waste
    (company name, ABN, vehicle registration and driver details)
  • Date and time
  • Description of waste
  • Where the waste was transported to
    (name and address of the contract person and place)
  • Copies of dockets/ receipts for disposal of the waste

The Disposing of Waste lawfully form (PDF 125kb) will help you keep track of the relevant details.