Migrant Services is a combined project of Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai Councils.
We provide a helping hand to settle newly arrived immigrants through one on one consultations.
Download flyer - Your guide to migrant services - 238kb
Hornsby Council Community Services
Address: 28-44 George St, Hornsby
Phone: 9847 6721 (Monday to Wednesday) or 9424 0978 (Thursday to Friday)
Who can use our services?
- Refugees, humanitarian migrants and immigrants
- Migrants who live in Hornsby or Ku-ring-gai Council area
- People who arrived in Australia in the last five years
- People who have special settlement needs
How can we help?
We can provide:
- Assistance on a wide range of issues when settling into a new country
- Educational workshops
- Social activities
- Australian culture and lifestyle information
Want to practice your English?
Joining our weekly Social Conversation Groups is a great way to learn more about Australian culture and local services in the area, meet new friends, while improving your English skills along the way. The conversation groups are run by local volunteer tutors.
When: Every Monday during school term
Time: 11.30am - 1.30pm
Where: Hornsby Library, Esther Waite Room, 28-44 George St, Hornsby
When: Every Thursday during school term
Where: Gordon Library Meeting Room, 799 Pacific Highway, Gordon
Bookings are essential as places are limited. Please note: children are not permitted in these sessions.
Free interpreting service
We can arrange an interpreter from the Translating and Interpreting Service to provide free interpreting services. Call us on 9847 6721 (Monday to Wednesday) or 9424 0978 (Thursday to Friday) for more information.
- Centrelink multilingual call centre number: 131 202
- Free Mandarin, Cantonese interpreting service at Hornsby Centrelink, Tuesday and Wednesday, 8.30am -12.30 pm
- Centrelink information translated into language of choice.
- Department of Fair Trading. Call 13 14 50
- Lifeline is a telephone counselling service that provides advise if you are experiencing a crisis in your life. Call 13 11 14
Emergency contact number
- Dial '000' in an emergency for police, fire or ambulance services
Immigration and citizenship
- The Department of Immigration and Citizenship provides information on visas, becoming an Australian citizen, tips on settling into Australia and more
Money and finances
- MoneySmart provides information in a variety of languages about financial issues
- Phone transport information number: Call 131 500
- NSW transport information website
- Search for English and other employment and vocational courses at Hornsby TAFE
- Family: My language provides information on government services on family issues in various different languages
- Health: NSW Multicultural Health Communication Service provides translated information on health issues