Fire permits

Permits are required for fire-related activities in Hornsby Shire, such as pile burning to dispose of vegetation.

If you live in a rural area, and would like to undertake a pile burn to dispose of vegetation please contact Council on 9847 6666 to apply for a permit. Staff will assist you in completing an application.

Additional approvals for burning are also required from other agencies.  If you live within Fire and Rescue NSW district you are required to obtain a Fire Permit from Fire and Rescue NSW, at all times of the year.  Please contact your local Fire and Rescue station to obtain a Fire Permit.  If you live in NSW Rural Fire Service district, during fire season (usually October - March) you are required to obtain a fire safety permit from the NSW Rural Fire Service. Contact the Hornsby Ku-ring-gai District Office on telephone 9883 2000.

To find out more about the different types of burning (agricultural burning and hazard reduction burning), the approval process and requirements for conducting a burn please see Before You Light That Fire - 681kb.

Should you wish to undertake a hazard reduction burn on your property please contact the NSW Rural Fire Service Hornsby Ku-ring-gai District Office on 9883 2000 for an assessment.

Burning to dispose of vegetation and other waste is not permitted in suburban areas.